What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
In order to be registered as a tourist guide in South Africa, a person must meet the following minimum requirements:
- must be at least 21 years of age;
- must be a South African citizen or be in possession of a valid work permit;
- must have undergone training with a CATHSSETA-accredited training provider;
How do I become a private tour guide?
Generally speaking, you can usually become a private tour guide by obtaining a license, after which you can either join a local tour company or work independently. Some tour guides take visitors on specialized walking tours that explore different aspects of a travel destination.
Where can I learn to be a tour guide?
Tourist Guide Institute offers both full time and online courses to individuals who want to become registered tour guides and/or tour operators in South Africa.
Is tour guide a good career?
A tour guide gets the opportunity to see the world. It is a job with no time limit. You have to work for a long 12 hours in a day and may be that on the next day you will be free. It is a good career industry but very competitive.
What are the duties of a tourist guide?
What do tour guides do?
- undertaking research and planning tours.
- preparing and giving presentations.
- offering sightseeing advice.
- organising and leading excursions.
- problem solving.
- translating and interpreting.
- transporting and accompanying tourists.
How do I get a job as a tour guide?
How to Become A Tour Guide
- Step 1 – Determine whether you actually want this job, and have the skills necessary. …
- Step 2 – Determine what kind of guiding job you want. …
- Step 3 – Get training and licenses, if necessary. …
- Step 4 – Get hired or start your own business. …
- Step 5 – Start working, and never stop learning!
How many hours a week does a tour guide work?
Generally have a set schedule each week. May work part time or full time, but most work less than 40 hours a week. May work more during the summer when more people take vacations.